SOUTH BRUCE – The South Bruce Fire Rescue Service and Enbridge Gas Inc. have teamed up to improve home safety and reduce fire and carbon monoxide-related deaths down to zero.
Project Zero is a public education campaign that will provide more than 9,100 alarms to residents in 40 municipalities across Ontario. On Nov. 8, the South Bruce Fire Rescue Service received 102 combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, with Enbridge field supervisor Jeremy Miller on hand to make the donation.
“This year, Enbridge is donating $275,000 to Project Zero, a program we have proudly supported for more than 10 years,” Miller said. “This special program aims to bring the number of residential fire and carbon monoxide deaths to zero, and since inception has distributed more than 44,000 alarms.”
Known as ‘the silent killer,’ carbon monoxide is a toxic, odourless gas left as a by-product of incomplete combustion of fuel, with Enbridge stepping up to do their part to educate and protect the public.
“We know that the best way to avoid carbon monoxide exposure is to eliminate it at the source by properly maintaining fuel-burning equipment, and that the alarms are a critical second line of defense to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Murray Costello, director of operations for Enbridge Gas Inc. Southwest Regions.
South Bruce Fire Chief Chuck Lobsinger accepted the donation on behalf of the station, which will distribute the alarms to residents as they are needed.
“I am very excited we have the opportunity to partner with Enbridge Gas through Project Zero to distribute 102 combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms throughout our community, and make our community a safer place,” Lobsinger said.
Mayor Bob Buckle also commented on the donation, noting the increased safety it will provide the community.
“On behalf of the 102 South Bruce residents receiving the combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, thank you,” Buckle said. “This partnership increases the likelihood for our residents to escape the effects of fire and carbon monoxide through early detection.”