GREY-BRUCE – The Grey-Bruce Health Unit has reported zero new cases of COVID-19 for the past seven days, and Thursday marked the first time since the pandemic came to the region that the health unit has reported zero active cases.
The last new case of COVID-19 was reported on July 9.
The total number of cases reported by the health unit remains at 115. Of those 115 cases, 28 were reported in health care workers.
There have been zero deaths in the region associated with the virus.
‘These cards are being sold as a scam’
The Grey Bruce Health Unit is warning area residents about fake cards being used by suspected anti-maskers to avoid wearing face coverings.
The cards – complete with the illegal use of a small Canadian flag and a version of the Canadian Red Cross emblem in an attempt to appear official – state the holder is exempt from wearing a face covering due to a medical condition.
The cards, however, are an exercise in futility in the Grey-Bruce region, as public health officials have repeatedly stated businesses do not require proof of the following mask exemptions under the GBHU order:
- those under the age of two;
- those whose ability to breathe is inhibited or have a medical condition;
- children under the age of five, either chronologically or developmentally, who refuse to wear one and cannot be persuaded to do so by their caregiver; and
- those impacted by “the obligation to provide reasonable accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code.”
– With files from Chris Daponte/Wellington Advertiser