News Wingham Advance Times

Fire destroys apartment near downtown Wingham

WINGHAM – Two blocks from the main street of Wingham, a fire occurred in the early morning of Sept. 23.

The Fire Department of North Huron (FDNH) was called to the scene of a house fire on Shuter Street just after 5 a.m. on Wednesday. The fire was called in by a tenant who was awoken by a smoke alarm and found the kitchen to be filled with smoke.

“If it wasn’t for the working smoke alarm, it could have ended differently,” FDNH Deputy Chief Chad Kregar said.

The FDNH was able to fully extinguish the fire and contain the majority of the damage to the rear apartment of the duplex. Kregar said there was minor smoke and water damage to the front apartment, however the rear apartment was a total loss.

The cost of the damage is estimated at $200,000.

The fire has been determined to be caused by an unattended candle.

Contributed Photo
The rear apartment of a duplex on Shuter Street in Wingham has been completely destroyed by a fire that occurred on the morning of Wednesday, Sept. 23.